Friday, June 5, 2009

You've had two pairs of gloves the entire time?

I found out this morning that the plot has taken an interesting twist. Until about 10:00 am this morning I was set to be deployed in the San Martin Region of Peru. This region lies right on the edge of the Amazon Jungle where many indigenous people both live and work.

Well, come to find out these people have organized a massive protest against Peru's President Alan Garcia and nine decrees that affect their lands specifically with regard to the extraction of raw materials such as crude oil, gold, gas, and timber. The government has opened the lands to exploration and development by foreign companies which has given the Jungle Tribes reason to create resistance in seven of Peru's twenty-four regions. The indigenous people have already caused disruptions at airports, bridges and main river traffic sites.

So needless to say the Peruvian officials leading the OLPC Program have chosen to find alternative sites at which we will be working. I have been notified that the locations will be in the mountains and since it is winter in the southern hemisphere, temperatures are going to be quite low.

With most of my things gathered to handle the climate of the Amazon, I am set to alter my wardrobe selection for something more suitable for temperatures in the low 30's. This is the kind of excitement I expected with this trip, so don't worry my spirits are still high.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words of encouragement. It means a lot to me knowing I have such a great support system from my friends and family. Love you all and look forward to my next entry from Peru!

No comments:

Post a Comment